Thursday, August 20, 2015

Violent life in wormhole space

I am flying around w-space, scouting and looking for opportunities. A part of a charm is that a single directional scanner check can tell stories on it's own. Like in below example, I see an Algos at the site with sleeper wrecks.


If you look closely, it's not only sleeper wrecks. Actually, don't even need to look that closely as there are 3 wrecks that are not sleeper's. They stand out quite a lot. It seems like farming operation went horribly wrong. Since site is despawned or it's a signature, I can't have eyes without alerting whoever is still in here. I decide to check killboard for intel.


Looks like I found what just happened. Some guys were just ganked by Spectraliz IIZ, I know them well. They are a very active Russian corporation that operates within my timezone. It's not the first time I see them gank very close to my location. And most certainly, they are one of the most frequent corps I meet in my travels. It might be just a coincidence, but their killboard is amazingly active for 150 members. I say amazingly, because most of them happen in w-space and as someone who lived in this environment for the bigger part of EVE career, I know how difficult it can be to find targets, especially when you happen to live in higher level wormhole like c5/c6. So big respect to these guys and I am trying to stay away as much as possible as soon as I spot one of their scouts. Nothing much I else I can do here so I moonwalk back out to my system.

After ganking Paladin of the locals, I know they have another one. I have spotted it at the tower for a brief moment. However, I am pretty sure I am being watch listed and whenever I see guys log in, they log out within 5 minutes. Sometimes even 1. Not that I try to gank them for a second time. I simply did not find new location to stay in.

System generally is clean. Data/Relic sites do not normally stay longer than a day and there's only a handful of anomalies present. So someone is doing them. Maybe day trippers, maybe locals. I have a rather small time window when I play EVE, so I am sure I miss out on a lot of gank opportunities. This time however, I spot a Helios on d-scan, which I find at one of the data sites.


I wait for him to finish hacking current container and align to the next one and grab him when I see a hacking beam. I then proceed slowly killing him with my two small smartbombs and a medium blaster that is missing it's shots half the time. Finally Helios explodes. Nothing fancy, just some t2 stuff and a few site drops. I grab that 8 million loot and shoot the wreck. I really wish I had a smartbombing Proteus for these situations. Too bad large smartbombs use so much space and I don't feel carrying twice the value in cargohold when my primary tackle ship takes risks every day. Smartbombing small ships with pods is a lot of fun though.

No comments :

Post a Comment